18.5.09

Form vs Function

This is something that, as a graphic design student, plagues my mind every so often. In particular when I'm tackling a project, like now.

When I was choosing what I wanted to do if I went to uni I was certain I wanted to do graphic design. I can't pin-point exactly why, but I think it had something to do with the fact that graphic design, compared to fine art or even illustration, seemed like it was a broader and more accessible form of communication to people than the other main visual art subjects.
But after almost a year into my course I'm starting to question whether a; if I am a (graphic) designer or not, and b; if I am to whatever degree am I more emotive or functional with my work?

They way I worked before this course was definatly more emotive, and I guess 'post-modern' (whatever that is). And in my eyes this was more creative, and I still feel that way a little. But now, I'm working alot more with concepts and ideas and visualizing them in their purest form so to create the clearest communication. Which is still creative, but I feel like I've lost a bit of my soul. But I want to do something more emotive but still be able to justify it. Or maybe not have to justify it. I don't understand how other existing designers can do it! The work I look at looks great, but if try to do something like that, with a nice 'form' I struggle to convince myself I'm allowed.

I'm not going to be able to figure this out now. I need to do work.
This is the first text blog entry since ages!



Currently listening to: Bright Eyes

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Couldn't have said it better Ryan, especially the bit about losing your soul. I don't think I'm allowed to create something emotive if it has no function, but I really want to.